Craig Murphey has been a trial lawyer for over 25 years. Before joining our team, Craig was a partner in one of Erie’s largest law firms and concentrated his practice on defending personal injury cases – especially car, truck, and motorcycle accident lawsuits involving deaths or catastrophic injuries.
Over the years, Craig has also represented and advised insurance carriers in numerous types of claims involving automobile, homeowners, or commercial general liability policies. He has also handled many cases that shaped Pennsylvania auto insurance law, especially in the arena of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
Craig also has a lot of experience with insurance bad faith cases. Since the Pennsylvania bad faith claim handling statute was enacted in 1990, he has represented and counseled both insurance companies and policyholders in bad faith claims.
With Purchase George & Murphey, P.C., Craig uses his education and experience to help accident victims, policyholders, and other insureds in all types of personal injury, property damage, bad faith, and other insurance claims. In addition, he protects the interests of those suffering from injury or medical mistakes and he represents companies and individuals in a wide variety of business disputes.
Craig has been honored by his peers and clients as an outstanding lawyer and leader. He was formerly the President of the Erie County Bar Association in 2017. He was also formerly President of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, an organization comprised of leading insurance defense lawyers and insurance claim executives. Craig is also currently a member of the Board of Governors for the Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association.
Craig has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© every year since 2012. He was recognized by Best Lawyers as the 2017 Pittsburgh region “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury-Defense, and he received another “Lawyer of the Year” Honor for Insurance Law (Pittsburgh region) in 2019. This is quite an honor — The Best Lawyers in America© recognizes only one lawyer in each practice area and region as “Lawyer of the Year.”
Craig has also been selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since 2011. The Super Lawyers designation is awarded to only the top 5% of all Pennsylvania attorneys – the honor is bestowed at the conclusion of a selection process that includes peer nominations, an evaluation of professional achievement, and independent research of the candidates.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury – General
- Car, Truck and Motorcycle Accidents
- Medical Malpractice & Nursing Home Negligence
- Commercial Civil Litigation: Business Disputes
- Insurance Bad Faith
- 99% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. – 1988
- Honors: with Honors
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh
- B.A. – 1985
- Honors: with Honors
Honors and Awards
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2011 – 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 – Present
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America, 2017 Pittsburgh region, for Personal Injury-Defense
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America, 2019 Pittsburgh region, for Insurance Law
- Adjunct Faculty, Mercyhurst College
- Murphey Serves as Panelist at ECBA Seminar on Changes Made to the Law of Joint and Several Liability, August 30, 2011 – Present