Theft Lawyers in Erie, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Criminal Defense Attorneys Help You Beat Shoplifting Charges in Erie, PA
“Choosing Tim George for our lawyer was one of the best decisions we could have ever made. He worked nothing less than a miracle for our son. Five Stars!”
T.N. (Theft Offense)
The People We Help Fight Theft Charges in Erie County, PA
We defend the freedom of people facing criminal charges for:
- Bad Checks
- Retail Theft
- Theft by Unlawful Taking
- Theft By Deception
- Identity Theft
- Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property
- Access Device Fraud
- Deceptive Business Practices
- Insurance Fraud
- And other theft & property crimes
“If you are reading reviews on this site, you are likely in need of a criminal attorney to defend your rights. The very best advise I can give you is to stop reading and call Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C…. .”
Theft Offenses in Pennsylvania Can Be Complicated
In Pennsylvania, theft offenses are graded by the amount alleged to have been stolen and the number of times you have previously been convicted of theft. Some examples include:
- Felony 1, if > $500,000
- Felony 2, if > $100,000 but < $500,000
- Felony 3, if > $25,000 but < $100,000
- Felony 3, if > $2,000 but < $25,000
- Midemeanor 1, if > $200 but < $2,000
- Misdemeanor 2, if > $50 but <$200
Previous Convictions for PA Theft Crimes Can Make Matters Worse
If you have previous convictions for theft offenses, like retail theft or shoplifting, the grade increases from summary to misdemeanor, and maybe even to felony with new convictions.
Other Factors to Consider When Fighting a Pennsylvania Theft Offense Charge
Other factors can mean that your theft charges are classified as either burglary, robbery or some other theft offense. Such factors also may change the grade of the offense, as well as increase the penalties affecting the “offense gravity score” or OGS. Examples of some of these factors include:
- whether the offense was committed by force or threat of force (robbery)
- whether the property was stolen from a home (burglary) or store (retail theft)
- whether people were at home at the time
- what was taken (guns or drugs)
- whether you have previous convictions for other thefts
- and other factors
About Us: Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C.
Since 1992, we have defended people accused of property crimes, theft crimes, and related offenses. We work to remain ahead of changes in the law and the PA sentencing code to ensure that we provide you with the best defense possible and the best results available. The Erie theft, burglary & criminal defense lawyers at Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C. bring a unique and extensive background to bear on the problems you face. Here are some of our impressive credentials:
- Former assistant district attorney.
- Former U.S. Army trial counsel in Iraq.
- Named Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Criminal Defense in 2016, as compiled by an independent service using a patented selection process designed to identify outstanding lawyers in particular practice areas.
- Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell for highest ethics and legal ability, based upon reviews by judges and other lawyers.
- Rated 10.0-Superb by Avvo.com, based upon our experience and endorsements by other lawyers.
- Awarded Client’s Choice Award by Avvo.com, based upon the number of favorable reviews by other lawyers and clients.
Let’s Get Started: Contact an Experienced Erie, PA Theft Defense Attorney Today!
Call today to get started. Dial (814) 580-5017 or complete the quick contact form to schedule a free consultation at one of our offices in Pennsylvania.