1. Roughly 3/4 of all motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle, usually a private passenger automobile;
2. Roadway defects were the accident cause in 2% of accidents;
3. In 2/3 of accidents involving other vehicles, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcyclist’s right of way;
4. The failure of motorists to detect or recognize motorcyclists in traffic is the single most significant cause of motorcycle accidents;
5. The most likely place for a motorcycle accident with another vehicle is at an intersection and the other vehicle is most likely to violate the motorcyclist’s right of way;
6. Motorcycle accidents are significantly reduced by measures that increase conspicuousness of motorcycles, including the use of daytime headlamps and high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets;
7. Motorcycle training and experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accident;
8. The typical motorcycle accident allows the motorcyclist less than 2 seconds to complete all collision avoidance action;
9. Motorcyclists in accidents showed significant accident avoidance problems, including over braking of the rear wheel and under braking of the front wheel;
10. Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are under-represented in motorcycle accidents, likely due to increased conspicuousness and the association with more experienced and trained riders;
11. The use of a safety helmet is the single most critical factor in the prevention of head injury; and
12. Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury both in terms of quantity and severity.
We are Erie lawyers who believe in providing free information to the public about motorcycle accident injuries and the cases that result from them. To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Erie motorcycle lawyers, call today 814-833-7100 or toll free at 814-833-7100 or use our on-line contact form . For more information, visit our motorcycle accident page , our motorcycle accident library or order our free book on Pennsylvania accident cases.