June 30, 2012, ERIE, PA — Regular readers of our Pennsylvania medical malpractice law blog know that we frequently write about tort reform and the medical malpractice myths that cause some people to believe we need to provide special protection for Pennsylvania hospitals and doctors. We believe that a vigorous civil justice system is the most effective force in protecting patients and motivating health care systems to improve and so we have made it a mission to get the facts out about medical malpractice.
A new website came to my attention the other day that does a great job of regularly providing the newest and most compelling information about Pennsylvania medical malpractice and we recommend it to all of our readers. MedMalFacts.com is a website devoted exclusively to providing helpful and reliable information to Pennsylvania consumers about medical malpractice; the state of the law today; and the efforts made by some to make it more difficult for injured families to seek justice in a Pennsylvania courtroom.
Some of the more compelling facts revealed on the site include:
* More people die every year from medical errors than from breast cancer, prostate cancer and drunk drivers combined.
* Medical malpractice is preventable. 80% of all adverse events in complex heath systems result from human error, making it the 6th leading cause of death in America.
* The cost of medical malpractice claims is only .3% of the cost of health care spending while the cost of treating injuries caused by medical mistakes is over $29 billion.
* Since Pennsylvania’s last significant medical malpractice tort reform legislation in 2002, medical malpractice filings have indeed decreased substantially. Appallingly, however, medical errors have increased in Pennsylvania by 7.1%.
* Medical malpractice cases remain under attack in Pennsylvania, with more and more legislation being proposed every day to make it increasingly difficult to hold careless health care providers accountable for the harm they cause.
We hope you’ll take a moment to check out the website yourself. There’s a ton of helpful and reliable information there that will help you to understand medical malpractice in Pennsylvania.
Contact an Erie Medical Mistake Lawyer
If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of a medical mistake, you should contact an experienced Erie medical malpractice lawyer . The Erie hospital error attorneys at Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C. have experience in the investigation, preparation and trial of complicated medical cases and want to help. Call today for a free evaluation of your case at 814-273-2010 or toll free at 814-273-2010 or use our on-line consult form.