Pennsylvania car accidents are the top killer of children age 1 to 12 years of age. One of the easiest ways to protect children from the risks of an Erie car crash is to make sure the proper car seat is used as intended. Here are five easy safety tips to make sure you are doing what you should to make your child safe in the event of a Pennsylvania car crash:
* Make Sure You Have the Right Seat - This one really isn't as hard as you think. Just check the label to make sure the seat is intended for your child's age, height and weight. Don't forget to check the expiration date!
* Make Sure it's in the Right Place - Children in safety seats should sit in the back seat. In fact, all children should sit in the back until they are at least age 13.
* Make Sure it's in the Right Direction - A child should use a rear facing safety seat for as long as the child can fit in it, usually until around age 2. From then, move to an appropriate forward facing seat and make sure the seat is tethered as required by the owner's manual.
* Make Sure it Passes the Inch Test - Grab the secured but empty seat and pull and push it side to side and forward and backward. A properly secured safety seat will not wiggle more than an inch in any direction.
* Make Sure it Passes the Pinch Test - Make sure the harness securing your child in the seat is passing through the appropriate slots. Now, when your child is in the seat with the harness secured and the chest clip at armpit level, try to pinch the fabric of the harness at your child's shoulder level. If you are unable to pinch any excess strap then your child is properly secured.
Always read the manuals for your vehicle and your child's car safety seat to ensure maximize safety in a Pennsylvania auto accident. If you have any questions about your child's safety, call for a free safety seat inspection by the Pennsylvania State Police: PA State Police, 4320 Iroquois Ave., Erie, PA 16514 Phone: 814-898-1641.
Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C. Can Help
For more information on Erie car collisions, visit our car accident page or take advantage of our offer to give you a free book, "The Ultimate Guide to Car Accident Cases in Pennsylvania: A Roadmap to Justice." We are Erie car accident lawyers who believe in providing free information to the public about car accident injuries and the cases that result from them. To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Erie injury lawyers, call today toll free at 877-505-9548 or locally at 814-580-5017.