Wet Weather Driving Tips
Hurt in a Northwest PA car accident? Call 814-273-2010 / toll free 814-273-2010 for a free consult with a Purchase, George and Murphey, P.C. accident lawyer. No fee if no recovery.
Wet Weather Driving Tips from Your Erie Accident Lawyers
The Erie we are used to has a lot of precipitation, mainly in the form of snow. However, your Erie Accident Lawyers know that it is important to consider not only snowy roads, but also wet roads. Here are some tips on how to travel safely on wet surfaces.
1. Make sure that your tires have enough tread. Replace any bald ones. Check for this by feeling the grooves in your tire. There should be a wear bar in between the treads. If the tread becomes even with the wear bar, it is time to change your tires. Here is a list of local tire shops if you need new tires.
2. Slow down. Wet weather decreases your car’s ability to react to your commands. By slowing down, you give your car time to react if you have to stop or turn suddenly.
3. Increase distances between you and other cars. Wet weather increases your stopping distance, even if you have good wet weather tires. Therefore, keep cars at lease four seconds in front of you when driving in wet weather.
4. Be careful of hydroplaning. In wet weather, water can collect in puddles on the road. This can cause hydroplaning. If you hydroplane, do not panic. Instead, simply take your foot off the accelerator. DO NOT BREAK! Breaking will cause you to lose control even more. If you have a manual transmission car, push the clutch in and allow the car to slow until you regain control.
5. Turn your lights on. This is a Pennsylvania State law, as well as a good idea. This increases your visibility to other drivers so that they can make adjustments as needed.
6. Pay careful attention at stops. Because it is wet, other drivers may lose control. If you pay careful attention, you may be able to avoid a crash by driving defensively.
If you are hurt in a Northwest PA car accident, call 814-273-2010/toll free 814-273-2010 to get a free consult with a Purchase, George & Murphey, P.C. accident lawyer. No fee if no recovery.