A: "U" Coverage is short-hand for Uninsured Motorist Coverage and Underinsured Motorist Coverage.  "U" Coverage is not required by law but is extremely important and should be purchased by everyone in Pennsylvania because of the great number of uninsured and underinsured drivers on our roadways.

Pennsylvania uninsured motorist coverage will protect you in the event you're injured as a result of the carelessness of a driver who is uninsured.  If you're injured because of a "phantom" vehicle, i.e. a Pennsylvania hit and run accident in which the guilty driver is never identified, you uninsured motorist coverage will protect you up to the limits you purchased.

Pennsylvania underinsured motorist coverage will protect you if you're injured as a result of the carelessness of a driver who has insurance but not enough.  For example, the minimum coverage that Pennsylvania drivers are required to purchase is $15,000.  If you've been seriously injured, $15,000 won't begin to make you whole when you consider your medical bills, your lost wages and your pain and suffering and other harm.  So, if you've been seriously injured by an underinsured driver your underinsured motorist coverage (if you bought some) will protect you up to the limits you purchased.

In our free book, "HERE" we discuss U coverage in detail and offer you advice about how much insurance to buy.  For a free, no obligation copy of our book, click HERE.

If you or someone you love has been injured in a Pennsylvania car accident and you have questions about your insurance, you may want to get advice from an Erie insurance lawyer to ensure you're being treated fairly by the insurance company. You may want to speak with an experienced northwest Pennsylvania insurance lawyer . Most Erie injury lawyers offer free consults so it shouldn't cost you anything just to speak with someone.